Choosing an interior designer is a very important decision as this will ultimately have a lasting effect on how your home looks. Be it a new home, or a remodeling project, you need to make sure that the interior designer that you hire really understands what your preferences are. He or she will need to come up with ideas that will match your needs and preferences, and at the same time, stick to your budget. So let’s go over some key points that should make your choice easier and ideal.
1. First of all you need to have at least some idea of what you are expecting. Some people leave it all in the hands of the interior designer, and in such a case there is a good chance that they will not be totally happy with the result. You should identify your preferred style and based on that you can then start to research interior designers who seem to specialize more in that particular style.
2. Do not call the first interior designer you find. Spend some time looking over reviews of the best interior designers so as to see what people had to say about different interior designers. Also, go over their portfolios so as to get a good idea of what they are capable of. When looking at portfolios do not evaluate them on the basis of their aesthetic value only. Try to imagine your own room or home in that style, and consider living there yourself. For good results aesthetics need to be combined with practicality, especially if you have kids. Also, past customer reviews will probably shed some light as to whether that interior designer stuck to the set deadline or not. Time keeping is very important in such a project, especially if you live in the house or have a date when you will be moving in.
3. Make sure you prepare a budget for your interior design project. You want the best for your home but you cannot go overboards either. Based on this, ask prospective interior designers about their rates. Some designers will charge a fixed fee whereas others have an hourly rate.
4. Meet different interior designers so as to get a better idea of what they could come up with when they see your home and prepare you for your home refurbishment project. By setting up a consultation you will be able to see if you like that interior designer or not, as after all you will be working closely together so good communication skills, patience and friendliness matter. A consultation is also a good way of getting information about the designer’s experience, qualifications, and the cost and duration of the project according to each one of them.
5. After you have been through some consultations, you will have each designer’s quote and ideas available. Compare them to each other so as to choose the one that best fits your preferences and budget.
6. Contact the interior designer of your choice and make sure you sign up a contract so as to list the designer’s responsibilities and timeline in writing, along with the cost of the project.